Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,992 Times in 977 Posts

Awards Showcase

Default Everything I Wish I Knew When I First Logged In - Guild Wars 2 Starter FAQ

This is a collaborative guide to help guildies getting started in the game. Reply to this thread with questions, answers or whatever you feel would have helped you when you were first starting out.

General

How do I tell what I should be doing?

Your personal story quest will be your general guide to where you should be in the world. With that said there are a lot of different things you can do to level. If you want to level via PvE I would try and work towards completing all the hearts in your starter area. Keep your eyes peeled for dynamic events (orange circles on your map) as they will give huge XP and grant you karma.

PvP - World vs World

PvP - Structured PvP
    - RJO, Officer of AKS
    Blog - Twitter - Facebook - Last.fm - Flickr

Taas Taru, White Mage (FFXIV)
    Currently Playing: FIFA16, Life

Proud member of the lala master race

hardcore

Rules Lawyer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Everything I Wish I Knew When I First Logged In - Guild Wars 2 Starter FAQ

Red circles on the ground are bad. Dodge is there for a reason, and red circles are that reason. Also: siege weapons don't put down red circles. In WvW white circles can also kill you, especially when it is an arrow cart.

Mob specials are listed under their names in the UI. If it says whirlwinds or "big damage" it has a special attack that will likely squish you. These are also reasons why dodge is in the game. An even con mob can take 1/2 your life if you stand in its special attacks. This includes melee classes needing to dodge away from big hits. GW2 isn't WoW and you can't just stand there and take it to the face.

80% of casting functions on the run. Spells with cast times work fine while moving while channeled spells do not. Visually I'm pretty sure the difference is the channeled spells have the bigger cast bar indicator. If you're playing a squishie you now need to learn to kite.

Running away from a mob will reduce damage somewhat but not guarantee you get away from special attacks. Dodge guarantees you evade the next few seconds of damage.
    Last edited by greyanna; 08-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to greyanna For This Useful Post:

Slippers (08-20-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Everything I Wish I Knew When I First Logged In - Guild Wars 2 Starter FAQ

Actually from what I could tell, you can still channel on the move - but you need to stay within the weapon's distance specifications for the spell to continue to work (i.e. my necro had a dagger spell that was melee range that siphons life).

Crafting: In order to make an item other than the (mighty) ones that require blood you need 3 things: 2 of the basic components (listed, for example, as breeches shell and breeches lining) plus a craftable inscription. Each inscription gives a different stat type, so you can always try one of everything. Upon the completed craft you will learn the recipe for that item.

Bank: Your bank is shared, so space is limited. There, however, is a collectibles section where you can store crafting materials (gatherables) and mini pets. These sections are also shared. However, you still need the materials in your inventory to craft.

My Level VS Mob Level: I highly recommend staying away from anything more than 2-3 levels above your level - they often destroy you easily even if you learn to dodge and kite.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Caveat: This advice is based on low level play, and YMMV at higher levels.

PvE:

Check weapon reward skills: Press H when the reward dialog pops up, go over to skills and then weapon skills to see what each one has. You can now make a (somewhat more) informed decision on which reward you want.

Explore your first city: Collect all the waypoints (they're free for intracity travel) and the Points of Interest will give you enough xp for a level.

Quest levels lie: The hearts tend to be doable a level or two below. Personal story quests (with any combat) usually require at least the stated level.

Gather: Mats aside, the xp is worth it.

WvW:

Always be carrying Supply: Siege weapons make a huge difference, so help someone build theirs.

Do the events: E.g. the frogs send waves of units to all the points in the area, often capturing undefended resource nodes, and really help when assaulting minor forts.

Ranger:

Get the bear: Just get it already. The cat is too squishy to be useful in PvP, or even PvE really. Go find a Juvenile Bear and press F on it.

Rules Lawyer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Kowh View Post
    Gather: Mats aside, the xp is worth it.
    especially since crafting mats can be put into your bank from wherever you pick them up or sold instantly on the market to people with open buy orders.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Conditions: Debuffs and DoTs.
    Can have multiple stacks. These stacks can increase either the duration of the condition, or it's "intensity" or power so to speak (damage per tick). Duration stacking adds an amount of time until that condition expires.

More information on GW2 wiki

Boons are on there too. No mathy bits up ATM though

Guild Member
    Thanks

Here's a lengthy post of tips from reddit:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._guild_wars_2/

Some pretty cool stuff!

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Kowh View Post
    Ranger:

Get the bear: Just get it already. The cat is too squishy to be useful in PvP, or even PvE really. Go find a Juvenile Bear and press F on it.
    This. And for those who don't know, you can pick the bear at character creation (at least you can as a norn), but if you didn't do that and want to get it later, then: Go to the norn starting area and head east to the bear cave next to the riverbank (on the west bank of the river as far north as you can go without going up the hill). There are juvenile bears inside the cave. You may have to do the heart quest for the bear NPC outside the cave before they will spawn, I can't recall for sure.

There are probably also bears elsewhere, but this is where I pick it up.

Profile on Lodestone

Thanks

Awards Showcase

If you really want to get up to speed with this game quickly, here is the one-stop shop that has just about everything covered:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME

Profile on Lodestone

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippers For This Useful Post:

Bellatrix (08-20-2012), liquid (08-20-2012)

Thanks

PVE:

Don't forget to learn your underwater weapon skills early on. Some story missions require underwater combat later on, and if you try and go in there only knowing your #1 skill, you're going to have a bad time.

Explore. If you see something that looks cool in the distance, or you find a small little cave off the beaten track, by all means, check it out.

Speed Buffs. In all major cities there are NPCs that grant speed buffs, that will help you explore the major cities quicker.

Crafting is not as difficult as you think. Make sure you get gathering tools asap, then gather anytime you see a gathering node (ore, sapling, herb). You can then "Deposit all Collectibles" from your bag (top right). Crafting grants XP, can give you great gear, and is a nice diversion.

sPVP:

Point Denial is as important as point capture. By simply denying the other team the ability to capture a point, you are providing your team with extra time to complete other objectives. Even if you lose a fight, if you held up the other team for a short time, you've won.

Remember to pick fights that favor your build. If you are a support character, look for team mates to group with. If you've specced for dueling, look for stragglers and take them down.

WvWvW:

Siege weapons. Trying to break down gates or walls with your hands, is not the best way. Buy blueprints from a vendor in your base, and set them up outside an enemy location during a siege to greatly reduce the time it's going to take to bring down their defenses.

Taking out Supply Caravans is an important task too, if you're not big on large scale battles or your PC can't handle it, find Supply Dolyaks and murdelize them.